Montréal, May 13, 2016
Agreement between Hydro-Québec and the Union des municipalités du Québec : Focused on collaboration and efficiency
The President of the Union des municipalités du Québec (UMQ) and Mayor of Sherbrooke, Bernard Sévigny, along Hydro-Québec President and CEO Éric Martel, are pleased to announce the signing of an agreement that outlines the administrative (fees) and technical (standards) terms that will apply when specific Hydro-Québec work is done within public rights-of-way in municipalities.
Through this agreement, both parties seek to improve the work process between Hydro-Québec and municipalities and clarify cost sharing with regards to certain work carried out within public rights-of-way in municipalities.
“Aside from its technical aspects, this agreement clearly demonstrates the commitment of municipalities and Hydro-Québec to work together efficiently for the benefit all citizens and Hydro-Québec customers,” said Éric Martel.
“It is the responsibility of two major public bodies such as municipalities and Hydro-Québec to set examples, and demonstrate that public space can be managed harmoniously, while taking into account each of our responsibilities” added Bernard Sévigny.
The agreement calls for:
• Reducing by 50 % the direct costs billed to municipalities to carry out certain work (securing, bypassing or moving the power system, etc.)
• Maintaining the free moving of five or less poles following work to structurally alter the public right-of-way (raising, lowering, widening, etc.)
• Eliminating Hydro-Québec’s inspection fees following work by municipalities near its facilities (e.g.: thermography)
• Setting new resurfacing standards (wider) following roadway excavation by Hydro-Québec
• Exempting administrative fees (including engineering fees) for all work not covered under the Conditions of Electricity Service and done by Hydro-Québec at the request of a municipality as the manager of the public right-of-way
• Removing fees to coordinate or plan work in public rights-of-way.
Mr. Sévigny and Mr. Martel would also like to thank all stakeholders who contributed to this agreement in a spirit of openness and cooperation.
An electronic version of the agreement will be available shortly on the Web sites of the UMQ and Hydro-Québec. An administrative guide outlining the terms and conditions of how the agreement will be expedited will also be prepared.
Public Affairs and Media